Microsoft Dynamics SL belongs to the family of Microsoft Dynamics and SL was initially called Solomon IV. The software was earlier acquired by Great Plains, which was later taken over by Microsoft. The software is basically built in Visual Basic and later, it was ported to .NET technology. Microsoft Dynamics SL basically, provides accounting solutions to vertical market. The software uses MS SQL server as database and VBA (Visual Basic for Application) is used for customization. The version 7 of Dynamics SL was designed in .NET and Microsoft announced that it will only support the editions SL 6.5 (SP 2/3) and SL 7 (all service packs) of the software.
Microsoft Dynamics SL is powerful in handling the accounting modules such as the general ledger, accounts receivables and payables. The software has many features in project accounting and job cost.
The software target small and mid size companies, and the key components of the software are financial management, manufacturing, project accounting, human resource management, customer relationship management, field service management, collaborative workspace, business intelligence and reporting, e-commerce and supply chain management.
1. Microsoft Dynamics SL can be integrated to MS Office applications.
2. It can be integrated to Microsoft SharePoint Office server to provide web based access. The electronic commerce features allows online transactions and automated internet marketing.
3. It is an out of the box solution for industries in construction and contract business. The job cost module includes the project accounting feature and job shops. The time and material billing features is also designed specifically, for construction units and hospitality industries.
4. The latest version of the software has new user interface which has been designed attractively to provide easy navigation and easy to use features.
5. It has also been designed to provide business intelligence solution to companies.
6. Some of the unique provisions of the reporting system are e-document feature and automated delivery through email or fax. The software links the work order approvals to the subcontractor's account to give order approvals.
7. The software comes with windows authentication feature to give high security.
8. Microsoft Dynamics SL supports multi currency.
9. Purchase modules provide integrated information of supplier and purchasers. Accounts Receivables in the financial module is improved over the previous modules. Tracking of a certain set of invoices is easy. Inventory provides proper flow of supply and demand chain and helps in forecasting. An integrated module for partner management allows the company to create a partner and check the status of the account, whenever needed.
10. The latest features of the software include the improved HR and CRM, where the managers and executives are given decision driving insight. The employee can concrete on their tasks as automatic connections are made to the customers.
1. Low provisions for internationalization.
2. The software uses an old technology as some of the codes are in 16 bit format.