Microsoft released Microsoft Dynamics GP or Great Plains as a standard ERP product, which is a kind of out-of-the-box product of Microsoft. Microsoft Dynamics GP has been launched in two editions: Standard edition and Professional edition. The standard edition is for companies with less than ten users and professional edition is for large companies with unlimited users. Currently with business ready licensing (BRL) Microsoft Dynamics GP is available in two editions: Business Essentials and Advanced Management.
1. The ERP software has many modules such as distribution, HR, demand planning, project management etc. There are some rare features available in the software such as collection management, analytical accounting feature, business portal etc.
2. In the manufacturing module, you can find options for work orders, job scheduling, invoicing, job costing, routing etc. HR module has features such as employee service over a browser. In the project management and planning module, demand planning, project accounting and many other additional services have been integrated.
3. You can create website through Microsoft Dynamics GP using the tool Microsoft SharePoint and the user can access internet directly through the software. The user can buy license for creating business portal at a fixed cost per user from the company.
4. A feature called forecaster has been integrated to the ERP system, which provides forecasting and budgeting. This is also an internet based feature, where the budget can be defined by using actual data and the formula defined in the software. The formulas are based on revenue models, head counts and other parameters.
5. The work flow tool provides exact information to track the approvals at each stage of work and to get the budget at each stage. The budget forecaster can get data from the work flow track and provide a financial report. The software provides analytical financial reports and has automating provision for multiple dimensions.
6. The collection management module can provide reminder dates and follow ups to be sent to the customers in case of overdue.
7. The software provides consolidated data of the vendors and customers, who are same. A service such as contract billing has been provided in the accounting module.
8. Microsoft Dynamics GP provides a "smart list" of customers, who are company's own list of vendors or franchisee. Reports to differentiate the regular customers from the new customers are provided in the ERP.
9. Role based system is defined in Microsoft Dynamics GP. The role based system provides a set of roles for a person holding a senior position in the organization and it provides a home page with to-do list, calendar and performance indicator every day.
10. Business Intelligence has been the implemented to give decision making software, which generates reports based on internal and external data.
11. An Executive Centre is provided with the graphical report of key projects and expense tracking.
12. Version 9.0 of the ERP includes the web enabled features such as provision for Salespeople who can enter data into the software through XML, when they are in field.
Microsoft Dynamics GP is suitable for organization that needs least customizations. The other products of Microsoft such as Microsoft Dynamics NAV or Navision and Microsoft Dynamics AX or Axapta have been launched to allow additional customization features, which allow adaptability to any kind of organization.