Do not lessen the importance of interpersonal skills at the workplace. You will have to stay in touch with the people around you to make your professional life exceptional. There are various points, which must be noted to improve the interpersonal skills and be closer to the co-workers. Given below are the points, which would no doubt help you to improve your social skills.
1. Smile: Some people want to be in the company of people, who are down in the dumps. Make a friendly relationship with the co-workers. Positive and cheerful attitude must be maintained towards job and life. Often smile and the positive energy radiated by you will draw others to you.
2. Be Appreciative: Always be generous and use words of encouragement. Be respectable. Make your co-workers feel welcomed when they stop by the office or when they call you. Thank the person who helped you.
3. Pay Attention To Others: Make a note of what is happening in others' lives. Acknowledge their happy times and express concern and sympathy in sad situations such as illness or death. Address people by their first names and make an eye contact.
4. Practice Active Listening: It means stating in your own words what the other person intends to say. It is also the demonstration of willingness to hear and understand the person's point of view. Obviously your office mates would appreciate acknowledging that you really listen what they say.
5. Bring People Together: Make such an atmosphere that people around you are encouraged to work. Keep in mind, no partiality should be done. Follow the requests and suggestions made. When any announcements or statements are made, make sure they are in the favor of the company.
6. Resolve Conflicts: Have the power to resolve conflicts whenever they arise or in whatever situation they take place. Make efforts to be an effective leader. If the co-workers disagree on certain issue try to solve it in the presence of both the parties with a cool mind. By playing the role of a leader in this way, you will earn respect and admiration from those working around you.
7. Communicate Clearly: A clear and effective communication avoids misunderstandings with co-workers, colleagues and associates. Make sure what you say and how you say is correct. If you tend to reveal anything that comes to mind, people should welcome those opinions of yours with a warm heart.
8. Humor them: Don't be afraid of being clever and funny. Most of the people want to be in the company of people who have the tactics of making others laugh. Sense of humor could definitely be the effective tool to reduce the barriers and gain people's affection.
9. See It From Their Side: Try to observe the situations and replies from others' side. At times people fail to empathize with others and are engulfed within their own domain. Empathize and put yourself in the others' shoes and look at their point of view.