To bring in "chi" into a small apartment, is one of the biggest challenges faced by architects and Feng Shui experts. Some types of small apartments are: studio apartments, shared apartments and college dormitories. The rooms in these apartments are used for many purposes and in such case you cannot have separate rooms for separate job. The question is: How will you arrange a small apartment to make it Feng Shui compatible? You can use some of the basic rules of Feng Shui even in small apartments and you can alter a few rules as per the room's structure.
1. If you have to a make place for kitchen and bed in the same small room, you should first place the bed properly and then decide about the stove.
2. Even if you own a multipurpose room or a studio, you should first make sure that the house is clutter free. Too many things should not be piled up at one place, which makes the room look dirty. Clutter symbolizes wasting space and energy. Clutters make the space look smaller and to hide too many things from your sight, you can break certain Feng Shui rules. You can keep things under the bed and you can use curtains to hide cluttered things of the room away from your site.
3. Bed position is important in a small room. The bed should be placed in a position, where the door of the room is visible and bed should be placed having wall on the head side. The bed should not be placed below a ceiling beam. The health of a person depends on the bed position. If the bed is not placed properly, you will not get a proper sleep and if you could not see the door from your bed, you can use Feng Shui mirror in the room.
4. The rooms should have proper ventilation and light. The walls should not have dark paints and you can use two shades of paint in one room to separate the room. If you have a home office in the small room, the sleeping area and the work area of the room should be clearly defined and different.
5. You can use mirrors to expand the space of your room.
6. An attractive focal point should be created in a small room, so that when you enter the room, you can see good things of the room. For example: placing a lamp or crystal, will divert your attention away from the clutters of the room.
7. Keep the entrance ventilated and lighted. The entrance of a small apartment should always have an airy entrance.
8. Buy small furniture for the small room. You can buy rounded furniture for a small apartment instead of, sharp big furniture.
9. If the room is shared, you can use curtains to separate the two spaces. Outside the room, you can use plants or wind chimes to allow chi into your apartment.
10. The art work or the paining used to decorate the room should not be too big.